Sylvi’s done!

July 24, 2011 at 1:46 pm 7 comments

Short post today, but I can’t not share. Sylvi is DONE! Knit, seamed, flowers sewn down, lining made and sewn in, pockets knit, lined, and crocheted down, buttons and toggles attached, done.

16 skeins of ruby red Cascade 220 Superwash (color 893), 2.5 yards of Amy Butler Full Moon Polka Dots in Cherry, 4 horn toggles, 2 horn buttons for the cuffs, and a few months of work.

The knitting on this took no time – I was working on size 9 needles with the yarn doubled, and it knit up quick. But, the pieces were large, so it wasn’t a very portable project most of the time, and for those of you who know me, I like to work on the go. Then, the lining was a hurdle that, while easy enough to execute, kept me guessing for some time.

Eventually I just traced out the pattern, spent an afternoon sewing, and voila, it was done! I was most nervous about the arm holes, as raglan shaping isn’t something that translates well to the rigidity of woven fabrics. To compensate, I added a 2″ box pleat in between the shoulders along the back (similarly to the way many men’s jackets are lined, or the way men’s shirts have a pleat under the yoke). This way, when I bend forward or reach my arms out, I’m not worrying about putting undue stress on the arm seams, or restricting my movement. Along with sewing the lining to the knit jacket along all the outer edges, I’ve also tacked the knitting to the lining in several places – at the center of the flowers, along the edges, at the armpits, and at the peak of the hood. This helps keep the knitting in the right shape, and prevents the lining from bulging over the edges as it’s tempted to do.

Some comments on the pattern. I lengthened the back (redoubling the small oval section of the middle back chart) and added an extra flower to compensate for the gap. I didn’t like the doubled leaves in the mid-back of the original, and I was concerned about row gauge. In the end, the weight of the knitting helped the project stretch, so it’s longer than I had planned, but the lining adds the extra stability and shape to it. I changed the direction of the cross of one of the early cables to enhance the symmetry, but otherwise, I mostly behaved and followed directions.

I’m really happy with the results – all 5lbs of them!

More details and photos of the jacket in progress, with link to the pattern, are available on my Ravelry project page: http://ravel.me/gnochistickate/s1

 

Advertisements

Entry filed under: knitting, sewing.

Melting away in Boston Sock Summit – A debriefing

7 Comments Add your own

  • 1. fridica  |  July 24, 2011 at 2:07 pm

    It’s wonderful! Congrats! I love your lining too : )

    Reply
  • 2. Katie  |  July 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm

    Splendid! And I love, love, love the lining.

    Reply
  • 3. claire  |  July 24, 2011 at 7:06 pm

    Gorgeous! Shoes to match, too!

    Reply
  • 4. Amy Butler Ruby  |  August 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm

    […] Sylvi's done! « Spin, spin, spin 16 skeins of ruby red Cascade 220 Superwash (color 893), 2.5 yards of Amy Butler Full Moon Polka Dots in Cherry, 4 horn toggles, 2 horn buttons for the cuffs, and a few months of work. The knitting on this took no time […]

    Reply
  • 5. Sean  |  August 20, 2011 at 10:30 am

    Absolutely sensational.

    Reply
  • 6. gnochistickate  |  September 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm

    So, I’ve had some questions about how to go about the lining! The first step is finding a big table/workspace, and some large paper. I was using special pattern-marking paper, that has inches notated on it, but butcher paper or taped-together pieces of newspaper would work. Lay these out, place your garment on top, and trace the shapes.

    First get the back, then the sleeves, then the hood. All on different pieces. The trick is this: for the back, you’ll want to make it from two pieces, with some extra space in the center seam for a pleat. The fronts are the same size each as half the back. The sleeves will need to be expanded to their full shape, which is more like a trapezoid (sort of coffin-shaped) in the end. And the hood is a rectangle.

    Add in extra space for seam allowances, and start sewing together (by machine). You may need to fudge the circumference at the neck to make it fit the hood (the knit fabric stretches, and I found the raglan neck stretches a lot, so I wanted to err on the side of roomy shoulders). Then, steam the remaining seam allowances shut to make a hem, and hand-sew to the knitted garment, leaving 1/4 inch of knit overhanging.

    I know this isn’t completely detailed, but should give you something to start with!

    Reply
  • 7. A Goal | LittleBitFae  |  March 22, 2013 at 11:37 pm

    […] Original image can be found here: https://spinspinspin.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/sylvi-done/ […]

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


Categories

Archives

July 2011
M T W T F S S
« Mar   Aug »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

RSS


%d bloggers like this: