Run on milk, bread, and…yarn
It’s something between a joke and a sad truth that when the very word “snowstorm” crosses the lips of the weatherman, every little old man and woman in New England (and likely elsewhere, too) will rush off and stock up on bread and milk. I can see, in the days when milk was delivered, or that bread lacked its modern preservatives, this would be important. As it stands, my gallon of ultra-pasteurized organic 2% and my oatnut loaves aren’t going anywhere, certainly not rancid, snow or no snow. But I’m the kind of girl who keeps an extra loaf of storebought bread in the freezer, just in case.
Well, the word “snow” sent me on a different errand…to the yarn store!
My original plans for this week were to teach a wonderful workshop on Kool-Aid dyeing at Harvard tonight, in between bits of the Lord of the Rings marathon, pick up a rental car on Wednesday morning, take my sweet time getting to Northampton, MA, and upon arrival, pick up the 16 skeins of Cascade Superwash that have been waiting there for me. And maybe a few other things, while I was there. Just a few.
After this, I’d meander through the rolling Berkshire hills, and wend my way to Kripalu after lunchtime to check in and spend some time oogling the class schedule and either being sociable and meeting new people, or curling up with my lovely cherry-red yarn and casting on my Sylvi. Or, meeting those people who were entranced by my knitting – either way works.
But, then the report of SNOW rolled in. 4 inches. 10 inches. 20 inches. The predictions started getting out of hand, and cancellations around Boston were many. And really, the last thing I wanted to do was drive through a bunch of snow at a snail’s pace all across the state. So, first things first, I looked at what time the yarn shop closed. 5:30 pm. It was 2:20, and the yarn shop was 2 hours away. If I missed it today, and the weather was awful Wednesday, I’d have to wait until (gasp) Friday! I had no car reserved for today, and had packed nothing. Could I do it?
I called my stepmother, who had offered me accommodation out next to Kripalu for the night, to avoid the weather. The offer was still good, so I went online. I could get a car at 2:30 for a relatively decent price. Done. I threw my things into my bag, and dashed to the rental counter. 10 minutes later, I had a Ford Focus, reserved for the week. I drove to my house, and in 15 minutes packed my things, and was on the road – 3:00pm. Phew!
I rolled into the WEBS parking lot at 4:50 – plenty of time to poke around the shop, and get the special order straightened out. With yarn in hand, I continued on, with a brief (7 minute) detour to the GAP outlet in Lee to pick up a few cheap tank tops (I realized I’d only managed to pack long sleeves). I made it to my dad’s place by 6:30, and not a flake of snow.
The message of the story, though, is this: I was willing to drive through white-out conditions, for hundreds of miles, in order to get to a yoga retreat. But I was able and willing to drop everything, rework my plans, cancel a workshop, miss out on LoTR, throw my life into a suitcase and go, just so that I’d get my yarn without waiting a few more days. What a junkie.